Back in the middle of March of this year (2015), I bought one C7000 Chassis with 16 blades in it, a friend of mine bought one as well. We traveled to St. Louis, Missouri and picked them up. This is the picture of them in my Escape after they were loaded up.
After loading them up and getting them back to my house it was very late, so he drove home and I went to get some much needed sleep after 10+ hours of driving. After a few days, we came to an agreement, I’d give him my Sun SunFire X4600m2 server for his blades/chassis.
So, now I’m the proud owner of 2 blade chassis and 32 blades… 🙂
The blades consist of the following:
[Dual CPU] 4 core Intel Xeon CPU’s E5450 @ 3.00GHz (32GB Ram) (Benchmark 7,796) – 7 -G5 blades
[Dual CPU] 4 core Intel Xeon CPU’s E5450 @ 3.00GHz ( 4GB Ram) (Benchmark 7,796) – 1 -G5 blade
[Dual CPU] 4 core Intel Xeon CPU’s X5355 @ 2.67GHz (16GB Ram) (Benchmark 5,890) – 24 -G1 blades
The G1’s use PC2-5300F-555-11 memory as pictured below:
This is a picture of the inside of one of the G1 blades.
This is the information on the top cover of the G1 Blades.
Now I own two chassis worth of blades, and of course that means I have two chassis, as pictured below. The first one is the one that has all the G1 blades in it, and it has older onboard administrator modules, they don’t have the blue kvm vga adapter that the other one does. I may or may not switch those out. It also has two 16 port ethernet interconnects and not shown, a SAS interconnect for a jbod.
This second image is the back of the blade chassis that contains the G5 blades. It has new OA modules for administration, as shown by the blue vga kvm ports.
This also has the SAS interconnect for Jbods. This shows all 10 fans, and the 6 connections for power (110 OR 220 work). In this image I’m only using 3 of the powercords as they are connecting to one 20amp outlet, and this will power only 7 blades total before it degrades the chassis and it will refuse to power on more.
This is the front of one of the chassis after installing some 72 GIG hard drives (raided) used for installing the OS (bare metal hypervisiors actually).
Only powered on 2 units to make sure they would go green, the yellow one is powered down, the yellow is the normal color you would see when in this state.
When you first power on an HP7000 you can login to the primary OA “Onboard Administrator” through a web interface and run a “First Time Setup Wizard”. Worked pretty well, I ended up making a ton of changes after that though, but this is what that looks like when you get there.
Below you can see I have only 4 blades powered on/installed. This is because I wasn’t sure at the time on how many blades my single 20 amp outlet could power, now I know it’s 7 blades.
Shown in this image is the “Device Bay Summary”, which is where you go to see your blades status, and to quickly login via web interface to the blades ilom, by clicking that blue “Ilo IP Address”.
Below is the image of the “Power Subsystem” page that shows what 4 blades and the Chassis are using while I was working on them.
The image above shows the 4 blades and one of them has a blue light on, that indicates that someone is logged into it via the ilom. You can manually turn that blue light on and off if you wanted someone to pull a blade at a remote site, that would be a good way to indicate for sure which one you were wanting removed/etc.
Well, that’s it for now. I’ve gotten alot further than this, but I don’t have images to go with the updates yet…..so stay tuned, I’ll post more on the updates and progress I’ve made soon.